Unbearable Lightness by Portia de RossiMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
After reading a couple of so-so-slightly disappointing memoir books by Elizabeth Gilbert ("Eat, Pray, Love" by and then "Committed") I figured I'd be done with memoirs for awhile. But then the other night I watched a rerun of Oprah's show in which she interviewed Portia de Rossi, about her recently published memoir, I find her to be fascinating so decided to read her book. "Unbearable Lightness" takes the reader through Portia's lifetime journey with an eating disorder, hiding from her sexuality, and the journey to accept herself for who she is. I could not put this book down. Her style of writing made me want to keep reading and wanting to learned more about her as I was silently sad for her and stressed for her and then cheering for her to get better. The pressures that society and hollywood put on women especially to be the perfect size or have the perfect thighs is very overwhelming for not only actresses but also everyday people and many women fall victim to anorexia or bulimia. She wrote this book in hopes to help other women suffering on their own.
View all my reviews







No comments:
Post a Comment