Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Lions and Tigers and Bears...and THUNDER AND TORNADOS...Oh MY!!

Auntie Em, Auntie Em??!! Toto (Baylie) I don't think we are in Kansas anymore!? Ha Ha! Well, Last night not only did some nasty thunderstorms roll thru but tornado warning sirens were blaring! Now see, I don't have to worry about ever sleeping thru a thunderstorm because I have Baylie who suffers from Thunder Phobia and she woke me up right away at the first crack of thunder. I was able to identify this phobic behavior after reading "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricial Mcconnell (which I blogged a review on Monday June 7th). At first I just thought she was confused because she runs around barking at the thunder and looking for it. Unable to find it and the fact that it keeps coming, she gets anxious and paces and pants. Here is a link to the author's website with some very good training information and dealing with a dog who has Thunderstorm Phobias. We will definitely work on this with Baylie. Last night we didn't have to worry too much because she seems to do better in the basement, which is where we ended up during the tornado warning...and we safely watched the news for up to date info. To think more storms are on their way for tomorrow. I'll have some nummy treats ready!

1 comment:

  1. Well at least U hear the sirens !!!!!!! I could of been blown away !!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete