Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Happy One Month I'm Home!

It's been a whole month now in my new house. It now feels almost like home when I come home. Especially now since my 1st mortgage payment is due tomorrow! Everyone has told me that owning a home, "there is always something that needs to be done." Man, they weren't kidding! But really, I love it! I especially love the list making during the week :) All the ambition and ideas of what Steve and I will get done that weekend, I obviously get a little too ambitious because only about half of every list gets done. Considering it's been 6 weeks since I took possession and there are only 2 weekend days, minus 2 days from a wedding--I'm pretty proud of what we've gotten done in 10 days! Thanks Handy Dandy Daddy Doo for all your help!! :) I'm going to post a series of before and after pics of our progress....

First is a picture of the listing-- Now, here is a current picture--




















As you can see up from the picture up above I updated the look a bit by installing new Porch lights, a new mailbox, new black shutters. Added new landscaping lights (Thanks Shawn for the housewarming GC), hung Boston Ferns and received a shepherds hook that I hung my hummingbird feeders from. Plus I think my bright teal adirondack chairs look adorable with pillows that tie in the maroon concrete with the teal. Who thunk that would EVER match?! I've de-weeded the landscaping and plan on planting more stella d'oro daylillies on the very left because there is a bare spot in front of my weeping Cherry tree.

Second and actually almost finished today are my new 2-panel closet doors in my front hallway. They still need to be sanded and painted but I am very happy with how they look! Before....da da da da da--here's a story, of a lovely lady... Feel free to sing along!
And after.....
.

Third, and a future Big Project is my bathroom. I just brightened it up a little by painting and removing the yucky shower doors. It's a small room as it is and dark walls made it even smaller.

And After....
I chose the color Bone White as just a neutral color to get thru the transition period until we have time to begin the full remodel sometime this winter--which will include a new tub/shower, vanity plus new tile flooring (maybe even heated floors) and we will redo the walls and hang new light fixtures and towel bars, etc.


I posted pictures of my porch yesterday and that we just painted and decorated. Same goes for my living room. The original color was a lavender color. I chose a deeper slate grey with blue undertones depending on what way the light shines. The color looks awesome with my white trim. I also replaced all my heat vents with white to match my trim because they were all painted the color of the walls. Before... After....
And another living room view out my front windows... I've also done some other cosmetic updating by installing White Levelor Faux Wood Blinds on most of the windows. I would like to add that the color of my living room and the blinds through my house are Inspired by my marble fireplace and Julie and Dave Burch's bedroom :)

My dining room was pretty low maintenence. I liked the wall color so we just replaced the ceiling fan with a hanging light and ripped out the carpet to show the beautiful hardwood floors. We will be refinishing the hardwoods probably sometime this fall.



We haven't done much to the 2nd bedroom other than rip out the carpet. I did pick out the color I want to paint. It's Anjou Pear by Martha Stewart. Once we do paint, we have the wonderful job of sanding down the textured walls to get a smooth surface. As for now it's Baylie' room or the Shoe room. ha!




Oh and now on to the kitchen, my favorite story...um I mean, project. As you know, I was not a fan of my kitchen when i bought the house, but could see past the cosmetic ugliness. Here are two pictures of it's current state. I sold my stove so I'm stoveless and have no cabinet doors. I painted the stained knotty pine walls which are going to be ripped out anyways according to plan. I will be calling the builder to discuss timelines and get this show on the road!
Once my kitchen is done I will be planning a housewarming party/ barbecue so it's hopefully going to be done in the next month or so!

3 comments:

  1. I just luv your house:) Its so HOMEY, with your own in it:) How u had it all in your apt is beyond me!!!!!!!! MI MI

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to see the afta pictures.. dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOO WHOO! I feel your pain with all the 'to do' lists. We get one things done and we find 10 more things that need to be done. Case and point...Jeff/Dave painted the bathroom last night. Jeff went to rip off the painter's tape and took a good chuck of paint with it. Arggh...now we gotta scrape, sand, prime and paint those spots again. The joys of olding an older home :)

    ReplyDelete