Saturday, May 2, 2009

Can't wait to Garden!

In the meantime I'll just have to settle for repotting my plants. This Scheffeleria plant has spent the past winter in the hallway leading upstairs to my apartment because it's known to be poisonous to animals. I didn't want Baylie to get into it's leaves again--yeah again, the first time we had to induce vomiting. Funny thing it's actually been thriving out there despite it's higher need for sunlight. Another reason it's been in my hallways is every year it seems to get sticky and buggy. I still haven't figured out how to get rid of them other than my dad spraying it it his pest controlling chemicals. Yeah it's kinda nasty but i can't bring myself to part with it. Since living on my own, I have watched this plant get bugs, get rid of bugs, get bugs agai and almost even die a few winters ago. I feel so attached because I have brought it back to life. It was pretty much naked of it's leaves and ready to hit the dumpster floor when i decided to try and give it a little love about 3 or 4 years ago. I pruned all the branches back, repotted it and left it on my previous balcony for a summer. After a long sudsy bath with a touch of dish soap to get rid of the stickiness on her leaves--The picture above is what she looks like today after repotting it in a container left over from last years patio vegetable garden. Pretty huh? :)

2 comments:

  1. you can come plant at my house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look beautiful! Great job! Where will it be going at your new place??? I love the shot Steve took of the tulips outside. It's a great view with a little peek at your front door. You guys are going to have so much FUN!

    Love, Marcia

    ReplyDelete