
About a week ago, my fake palm tree on my balcony has become the nesting home for a momma cardinal. I knew that birds were trying to make a nest but I never seemed to catch them in the act. Then last weekend I spotted the bird actually sitting on the nest! She is absolutely beautiful! She has a bright orange beak and velvety grey feather. She's a little fat right now because I believe she is holding all her eggs. Since the weekend, she has come and gone--but usually only leaves when we scare her. Also, the male cardinal stays very close by. Sometimes when the momma gets nervous and starts chirping, the male heroically appears to protect her. Here they both are checking from afar to make sure things are safe.

My camera was a little out of focus but here you can see both bird on my railing. The male is escorting the female home :) i was waiting for a kiss...haha.

See, the tree is just on the other side of my slider windows--so they are practically part of my living room. I have the blinds closed behind the tree to create a more secure area for her to lay her eggs. When she does fly away I keep checking for eggs and I haven't seen any yet so I am just patiently waiting.
Click here for information on the cardinal and it's nesting habits. Apparently I might have to wait a few days/weeks to see any eggs or baby birds. With the move coming up, I already ok'd it with my property manager to leave the tree if needed when I move out so I won't disturb them. With my actual move out date still over 2 weeks away, I might be luck enough to see the babies! :)
The top and bottom pictures are pretty awesome.
ReplyDelete